Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, February 23, 2009

Over Protective Mama Syndrome???



I think we all do it... We say we aren't going to be one of those moms who is constantly calling the doctor thinking there is something wrong with their kids. I told myself that and I think about it all the time. Every time I call the doctor I wonder if they think I am being over dramatic about what is going on. I LOVE our pediatrician and her nurse. They have been a blessing directly from God. But, I do have five kids and that can become a lot when someone is calling the doctor all the time.
So, here is the latest drama. Yesterday was just like any other Sunday. We got up and got the kids ready for church. After church we went out to grandma and grandpa Wright's for dinner like always. We ate dinner and dessert and headed home around 1:45. The kids went down for a late nap and I got some things done around the house. Around 5:00 I went to get the kids up and found that Landon had a 102 degree fever. He acted like he felt awful and so I gave him some Tylenol to bring the fever down. I had dinner fixed and the kids to the table eating around 5:45. That is when I noticed it. Ethan had a big red splotch on his neck. After we got them down I took his long sleeve shirt off to see what was going on. It looked like he had been attacked by mosquitoes or bees. He had whelps all over his arms and neck. I had no idea what it could be. So, I called Mel to come take a look. She knew immediately. The dessert we had from lunch had strawberries. He loved them and I'm sure ate a bunch. I think he had an allergic reaction to the strawberries. So, a quick trip to Walmart for Benadryl would fix him right up. I gave him the medicine and put the kids to bed. I checked on him throughout the night to make sure he was still breathing. He seemed to do fine.

By morning the Benadryl had worn off and the hives moved to his legs. I immediately called the doctor and set up an appointment. By mid-morning his latest dose of Benadryl had kicked in and the hives looked a little better. So, I decided to call the doctor and see if they thought I should wait it out and let it run its course. We decided to cancel the appointment. Around 2:00 my mom calls me and says that my 4yr old little sister has hives. Now I am starting to worry that it isn't an allergic reaction to the strawberries and that it could be something more serious. So, I called the doctor again to see what she thought. Again, she said to see what the morning brought and we would go from there. Around 3:30 the kids started to wake up. When I went in to get Ethan I was shocked. His head was covered in hives. His eyes and mouth were swollen. His ears were covered and itching. I was freaked out. So, I called the doctor for the fourth time. By that time they said if I was going to bring him in I had to do it then because they closed at 4:30. I felt like such a nagging mom. I was worried his throat might be affected, so I decided to take him down.

In the end, they are hives. They could be an allergic reaction or a viral rash. We don't really know. Either way, the doctor gave us a steroid to help control the hives. By the time we got to the doctor's office he was running a fever and not feeling well. At bedtime he had to take Tylenol for his fever, Benadryl for the itching, and a steroid for the hives. I checked with the pharmacist to make sure he could handle all that at the same time and not overdose. Hopefully the morning will bring a better day. If it isn't one thing it is another.

What do you think? I know there isn't anything we can do about the hives, but the fear of it getting out of control at night scares me. I don't want to be too dramatic about their health, but I worry that if I let something go it may escalate to something really bad. How do you moms decide what is serious enough to warrant a call to the doctor?

14 comments:

Mel Donnell said...

Em you are a great mom. You did everything right. It is always good to go with your gut, your heart or whatever. You did everything perfect to try and make it better for your baby boy. Keep doing what you are doing. I love the way you take care of those babies. You were born to have these babies and are doing such a great job with them. You can never be to safe when it comes to your kids so just keep on keeping on girl. love you all.
Mel

Mel Donnell said...

Em you are a great mom. You did everything right. It is always good to go with your gut, your heart or whatever. You did everything perfect to try and make it better for your baby boy. Keep doing what you are doing. I love the way you take care of those babies. You were born to have these babies and are doing such a great job with them. You can never be to safe when it comes to your kids so just keep on keeping on girl. love you all.
Mel

JenniferM said...

When in doubt, I just call. My oldest is 6 and I gave up worrying about what the doctor's staff thinks a long time ago. :) My insticts are usually right and with 3 kiddos, someone is usually sick and needs medical attention. Good luck with your sweet babies.

Amy said...

you know, its better to be safe than sorry. and just because they were hives doesn't mean that they couldn't have possibility been something else. plus you ended up going in which means they got paid so its not like they didnt get anything out of it.

Anonymous said...

When babies are small they can't tell you what is going on so you really need to be overcautious. It doesn't hurt. A peace of mind knowing that you are doing the right thing is so much better than constantly guessing. You are amazing the way you have handle 5 kids. You are doing great. Don't cut yourself short. You have way more patience than I would have. Even allergies can be bad if, like you said, his throat or airway passes were closing up. You never know. You saw that he was getting worse and took him to the doctor to stop it from getting out of hand. I say way to go. Night time always brings fevers up and if you are sick you tend to feel worse. I don't know why. I hope the kids are back to normal soon. God gave you a brain and you used it. I say, way to go. Love Donna

Jeremy, Kali, Crystal, Mason, & Clay said...

I would have definitly called...especially when his eyes and mouth were swelling because like you said you didn't know if was affecting his airway. You did the right thing...and don't worry about being a nagging mom...we all are in our own ways!! Hope he gets to feeling better!

:-) Kali

Stacey said...

There is a possability Emma is also allergic to strawberris. More than likely it is someithing in combanation with the stawberies is what the pedi told me. Boy don't the darlings keep ya on your toes?

Anonymous said...

I know I have told you the story many times about my adventures when mine was younger. I think every urgent care and emergency room as well as every nurse at our pediatrician’s office in Abingdon, VA knew me by sight when I walked in. I was a basket case when it came to my baby. I gave up worrying about what anyone thought of all my visits.

In fact I'm not so sure someone wasn't getting a kick out of just how unsure I was at being a first time mother. I'm sure after every visit they compared notes just to see which visit was sillier. From "No Debbie, I'm positive you did not cut her thumb off with the nail clippers", to "are you sure she swallowed the penny". Em I still take a mirror and put it under my daughters nose/mouth when she’s sleeping just to make sure she is breathing and she’s 16!

What I'm trying to say, don't worry about what anyone thinks. If it is worrisome enough for you to question it, then it is worrisome enough to make the call or visit. Always better safe then sorry. Thanks so much for letting me spend so much time with the kids, I’m thrilled to get to read books and watch Vegi-tales with them. It is always the highlight of my week.

Kris said...

When it comes to little ones I don't think parents can ever over react. They rely on us (as mothers) to take care of them when they can't tell us what is wrong. I just remind myself that is what doctors are there for. I think you did the right thing. And knowing you have such a wonderful doctor/nurse combo has to help lift that worry.

Stacy said...

It is always best to err on the side of caution. I pray that he is feeling better. Poor thing he looked so pitiful.
Stacy

Anonymous said...

After what you've been through with Sydney, no one can blame you when you worry over your kids. You did the right thing. I'd be paranoid constantly if I were in your shoes. The doctors and nurses are there for only one reason and that's to treat the patients. Don't worry about what they might say when they have nothing better to do.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I'm not there to help :( I talked to mom and she said everyone was doing a little bit better. I'm still praying for you all and that this virus goes away! I'll see you in two weeks!

Love you all!

Kate

Unknown said...

That is THE question. I worry about that all the time. I am going to have to take Jennifer M's stance. Don't worry what they think, even though it is hard. Just do what your gut tells you.

Heather Benza said...

That photo shows a baby that even a regular mom would take to the doc, so not to worry you're not a freak. Hey you went to the pediatrician not the ER, right. It's hard to know though, are we preemie moms destined to be one THOSE moms excessively? The problem is we no longer live in the luxurious world of taking for granted that our kids will be fine. If nothing else you give the pediatrician's office something funny to talk about at lunch!

Background