Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, April 4, 2011

Is It Broken???

Don't you hate when you don't know how serious an illness or injury is? On Friday the 18th I received a phone call at work. It's never good when the school calls. The kids were on a field trip to the Evansville Children's Museum and had stopped at a playground on the way home.

Jenna, our tiniest munchkin of all, fell from nearly the top of the slide. The reason I can't give exact details is because the 6+ teachers/aide's weren't watching. They had to ask the other kids to show them where she was. She was holding and favoring her left arm the entire way home and I needed to meet the bus to check her out.
I wasn't going to do this, but why in the world wouldn't someone have their eye on probably the most dangerous piece of play equipment in the entire park? The kids are ages 3 to 5!! Okay, I got that out of my system.

Anyway, I looked her over and besides a few scratches on her head, nothing was bruised or swollen. I decided to let it go. I couldn't help but wonder if I was making the right decision. Do fractures swell or bruise? I had no idea. So, I called After Hours on Saturday to ask what they thought. They assured me that it could wait until Monday without doing anymore harm. So, I wrapped her arm and iced it. I knew it hurt because she flinched and winced in her sleep when I pushed on it.
By Monday she was pretty much back to normal. Tuesday we met our friends Ashley & Trisha at the playground. Jenna fell when she was getting off the slide and landed on her arm again. After that, I knew I needed to get it checked out.
Wednesday we went down and had it X-rayed. She has a greenline (greenstick) fracture. The plan is to take it easy and pray she doesn't injure it more. We didn't splint it because the Dr. said it should heal fine on its own. Praise God it wasn't more serious. Poor girl!! She was such a trooper!

No comments:

Background