Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

About two weeks ago I began preparations for the kids. I was planning a mini vacation. I don't remember ever being so excited about going on vacation. Where was I going????? I was packing our truck and heading about 3 hours away to the tiny town of Rising Sun. Doesn't that sound peaceful? The name of the town is a really good way to describe how I felt when I was there. It was a new day. A time of rejuvenation. How in the world did I come up with that destination? That is the place where Chandra lives. She was and still is the best friend I've ever had.

We met in 6th grade and have been friends ever since. We did everything together. Every memory I have from my pre-teen years and on include her. We were inseparable. Every weekend and most week nights we were together. All the big days growing up were shared. First boyfriends, kisses, drivers-ed, proms, breakups, mission trip to Peru, and graduation. After high school we both went to USI where life took us in different directions. After our first year we lost touch and went our separate ways. We always kept some sort of contact, but were in different places in our lives. It was really sad to loose touch and be on my own. I got married, graduated and stayed in my hometown and started working. She got married graduated and started working on campus. Despite our separate paths in life, we found each other when the most important day arrived. Our wedding day! We were right there for each other like always. Ready to celebrate in the happiest day of our lives. Once again we parted ways and started our married lives is separate locations. Now we have once again been brought back together to share in the newest and greatest part of our lives. Children!!! Yes, she was there like always, the days before and right after I had the kids. We may not have been able to stay close through the years, but when it counts we are there no matter what. Now I get to do the same for her. McKenna Grace was born on Thanksgiving day. I couldn't wait to get my hands on her. I may not have been there the day she was born, but I would have dropped everything and gotten there as fast as I could if she needed me to. So, I waited for the crowds to die down before I made the trip. Three days to catch up. That is not enough time for two people who have a lifetime of memories and stories to catch up on. I miss her so much. The good thing is that I don't think we will let life pull us apart again.

Chandra is one of those friends that not many people find. If you are blessed enough to have a friend like her you will understand what I'm saying. We may not have cherished our friendship like we should have. Life and circumstances came between us. But, when I tried to move on and find that person who I could confide in and turn to, no one measured up. No one can share in the past because they weren't there, not even my hubby. I can't tell you how relieved I feel to have my best friend back.

Chan, I just wanted to tell you congratulations on your new joy in life. She is beautiful! You and Matt are great parents and I am so happy that I got to be a part of this time in your life. I remember talking back in middle school about all the things we were going to do when we grew up. We have done everything on our list. You don't live close enough for us to raise our kids together, but email and the phone will keep us close enough. I can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks! Merry Christmas and thanks for giving me a mini vacation!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Em,
I'm so happy for you. There is nothing to describe the hug of your best friend and the comfort of just being together. God knew what he was doing when he match you two up. What a gift!!! Have a wonderful Christmas!
Amy Weagley

Background